Monday, February 15, 2010

Tiles and Pompey

This summer I was lucky enough to go on a trip to Italy with my family. We got to go to Pompey one day. The abandoned city was filled with frescos and tile. I was particularly interested in these little windows between buildings. Considering how disposable our society is today, it is a question what would be left behind so many years after extinction. The answer is glass coke bottles. What does that say about us?




Here in Kansas City, I am interested in the patterns that I find every day. Especially floor patterns. Am curious about what patterns show up where. Patterns picked out are randomized. Brick patterns/tile patterns/wood trimming.




























The Night Tent: built last semester for my final project. This tent is built with plastic bags sewn together with cloth. The cloth makes up a quilt like pattern. The effects of the pattern were not initially intended to take a major part in its composition. But soon became an integral part to it's posture and form. This is how pattern surfaces in my own work.

No comments:

Post a Comment